Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation
is a monthly academic podcast which focuses on the life, art and creative work of Michael Jackson.
Presented by academic, Elizabeth Amisu, author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife, and Karin Merx, editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, it is the world’s first academic podcast which solely discusses the art of Michael Jackson as well as the broader contexts in which his music, performance and short films were created and received.
Each podcast is filled to the brim with academic insights, a plethora of references from a range of academic disciplines, humour and a great deal of discussion, taking Michael Jackson’s work and the study of its reception to new heights.
Recently, featured on the iTunes ‘New and Noteworthy’ lists, Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation is the world’s foremost podcast on Michael Jackson in academic studies. It is available via iTunes, Android, Email, RSS, and Stitcher
Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation SEASON 1 (2015-2016)
- Episode 1 (29/6/15): Was Michael Jackson an Artist?
- Episode 2 (7/1/16): 2015 Recap: Past, Present and Future Book 1
- Episode 3 (7/2/16): What is Michael Jackson Studies?
- Episode 4 (1/3/16): Michael Jackson And Monochromatic Cinematography
- Episode 5 (28/3/16): MJAS Exclusive – Michael Jackson’s Estate
- Episode 6 (7/4/16): Spike Lee’s Michael Jackson’s Journey from Motown to ‘Off the Wall’
- Episode 7 (7/5/16): MJ 7 Meets Shakespeare 400
Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation SEASON 2 (2016)
- Episode 8 (28/5/16): MJAS Exclusive – Michael Jackson & Prince Part I
- Episode 9 (7/6/16): Michael Jackson & Prince Part II
- Episode 10 (25/6/16): MJAS Exclusive: 7 Albums, 7 Songs, 7 Years (With Dr. Joe Vogel)
- Episode 11 (7/7/16): Author & Text: The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson Pt. 1
- Episode 12 (7/8/16): MJ Academy: The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson Pt. 2
- Episode 13 (29/8/16): MJAS Exclusive: Michael Jackson 58th Birthday: MJ & Afrocentricity
- Episode 14 (7/9/16): Michael Jackson’s HIStory
Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation SEASON 3 (2016-2017)
- Episode 15 (13/9/16): MJAS Exclusive – Live from Kingvention
- Episode 16 (30/9/16): A Celebration of the Book Release of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson
- Episode 17 (7/10/16): The Isle Is Full Of Noises
- Episode 18 (30/10/16): Halloween Special: ‘Ghosts’
- Episode 19 (7/11/16): Celebrating Dangerous25: Michael Jackson’s ‘Dancing The Dream’
- Episode 20 (7/12/16): Michael Jackson & Cleopatra
- Episode 21 (7/1/17): 2016 Recap: Past, Present And Future Book II
Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation SEASON 4 (2017)
- Episode 22 (7/2/17): ‘International Michael Jackson Research’
- Episode 23 (7/3/17): ‘Michael Jackson as an Actor’
- Episode 24 (30/4/17): ‘Analysing Michael Jackson’s ‘Who Is It’’
- Episode 25 (21/5/17): ‘The Order of the Songs on Michael Jackson’s Invincible’
- Episode 26 (21/6/17): ‘Part 1: 8 Years – 8 Short Films’
- Episode 27 (21/7/17): ‘Part 2: 8 Years – 8 Short Films’
- Episode 28 (21/8/17): ‘Michael Jackson and Fashion’
Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation SEASON 5 (2017)
- Episode 29 (21/9/17): ‘1 Year: Celebrating The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson’
- Episode 30 (30/9/17): ‘Celebrating The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson, Part II: MJ in the BL’
- Episode 31 (22/10/17) ‘Episode 31 – A Compilation Of Our Most Loved Episodes’
- Episode 32 (21/11/17) ‘Episode 32 – Part 1 of The Lost Recordings, ‘Leave Me Alone’ & ‘Jam’
- Episode 33 (21/12/17) ‘Episode 33 – Part 2 of The Lost Recordings, ‘Scream’ & ‘You Rock My World’
- Episode 34 (21/01/18) ‘Episode 34 – Recap 2017, Past, Present, Future, Book III’
- Episode 35 (06/03/18) ‘Episode 35 – ‘A Good Artist Copies, and A Great Artist Steals’
7 Reasons to Love This Podcast.
We are impartial and are not affiliated with any institution.
We are made by fans and academics, for fans and academics.
We publish enriching podcasts, columns and interviews for free.
MJ Studies is a wonderful way to learn about all of culture, music and art.
We offer our supporters and members exclusive content, gifts, collectors’ items and discounts.
We are the only academic hub for MJ Studies in the world.
We are supported by many wonderful academics and fans already.
What Happy Listeners are Saying About The Dream Lives On
The public profiles of editors and co-founders of the journal can be read below:
Karin Merx, BMus, MA is the cover artist and illustrator of the first comprehensive academic book on Michael Jackson, ‘The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife‘. Merx is founder and editor of the world’s first peer-reviewed academic journal on Michael Jackson’s art, life and work, The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies and she is co-presenter of the acclaimed podcast, ‘Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation’, mentioned in iTunes as ‘New and Noteworthy’. Merx is an artist and academic. She studied at the Academy of Music in Amsterdam, and is alumna of Conservatorium van Amsterdam and the Open University, Netherlands and holds qualifications in Art History. For The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, she wrote the well-received article: ‘From Throne to Wilderness. Michael Jackson’s ‘Stranger in Moscow’ and the Foucauldian Outlaw‘ and a book review on ‘Dangerous‘ by Susan Fast. This review is also translated in German and Italian. Find out more at karinmerx.co.uk/ .
Elizabeth Amisu, author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife, holds an MA in Early Modern English Literature from King’s College London. She completed her teacher training at the University College London Institute of Education and has seven years’ teaching experience. She is co-founder and editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies online. For The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies she has edited two publications, An Academic Companion to Michael Jackson Studies and Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation – Michael Jackson & Prince; written several articles and book reviews, most notably ”Throwing Stones To Hide Your Hands’: The Mortal Persona Of Michael Jackson‘, which has been translated into Spanish and Italian; ”The Isle is Full of Noises’: Revisiting the Peter Pan of Pop‘, available in German; ”Crack Music’: Michael Jackson’s Invincible‘, also in Italian; and ”Heard it Through the Grapevine’: Are We Losing Michael Jackson All Over Again?’, also available in Spanish. Find out more at elizabethamisu.com/.
You May Also Like: