Abstract: In this episode, Karin and Elizabeth, discuss Michael Jackson and Beyoncé also known as The King of Pop and Queen Bey, and how they fit into the archetype of Black Royalty.
Merx, Karin, and Elizabeth Amisu. “Episode 38 – The King of Pop & Queen Bey” Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation 6, no. 4 (2020). Published electronically 10/06/20. https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/episode-38/
The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies asks that you acknowledge The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies as the source of our Content; if you use material from The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies online, we request that you link directly to the stable URL provided. If you use our content offline, we ask that you credit the source as follows: “Courtesy of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies.”
Episode 38 The King of Pop & Queen Bey
by Elizabeth Amisu & Karin Merx
It is good to see that we have a Queen next to the King
Karin Merx BMus, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, and author of ‘A festive parade of highlights. La Grande Parade as evaluation of the museum policy of Edy De Wilde at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam’. Find out more about Karin here.
Elizabeth Amisu, PGCE, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies and author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife.
All Our References and Where to Easily Find Them
1. Evan Minsker, ‘Beyoncé Writes Tribute to Michael Jackson on Five-Year Anniversary of His Death’, PitchFork, June 25, 2014. Internet https://pitchfork.com/news/55709-beyonce-writes-tribute-to-michael-jackson-on-five-year-anniversary-of-his-death/
2. First person(s) who played a Half Time Show at the Super Bowl were New Kids on the Block in 1991. Prior to that it were University Bands performing.
3. Saartje Baartman (1789-1815) The Life and Times of Sara Baartman: The Hottentot Venus Documentary at Vimeo
4. John Merrick (1862-1890): The Elephant Man Biography.com original: Sept. 18, 2015, Updated: June 25, 2019 https://www.biography.com/performer/elephant-man-joseph-merrick
5. Becoming Documentary, Director: Nadia Haligren, Cast Michelle Obama
Join former first lady Michelle Obama in an intimate documentary looking at her life, hopes and connection with others as she tours with ‘Becoming’
6. Michelle Obama, Becoming (Viking; first edition 2018) Amazon
7. Homecoming Documentary, Directors: Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, Ed Burke, Cast Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
This intimate, in-depth look at Beyoncé’s celebrated 2018 Cochella performance reveals the emotional road from creative concept to cultural movement.
8. Adrienne Trier-Bieniek (ed), The Beyonce Effect: Essays on Sexuality, race and Feminism (McFarland, July 2016) Amazon