Abstract: In this episode, Karin and Elizabeth, finally decided that the documentaries Leaving Neverland and The Real Michael Jackson needed to be discussed. It took them quite a while to watch the documentaries and they are uneasy topics to discuss. However, we found that new Michael Jackson scholars need to be informed. It is therefore that we also put as much resources in the show notes as possible.
Merx, Karin, and Elizabeth Amisu. “Episode 41 – Leaving Neverland & The Real Michael Jackson ” Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation 7, no. 2 (2020). Published electronically 14/11/20. https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/leaving-neverland-the-real-michael-jackson/
The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies asks that you acknowledge The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies as the source of our Content; if you use material from The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies online, we request that you link directly to the stable URL provided. If you use our content offline, we ask that you credit the source as follows: “Courtesy of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies.”
Episode 41: Leaving Neverland & The Real Michael Jackson by Elizabeth Amisu and Karin Merx
Karin Merx BMus, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, and author of ‘A festive parade of highlights. La Grande Parade as evaluation of the museum policy of Edy De Wilde at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam’. Find out more about Karin here.
Elizabeth Amisu, PGCE, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies and author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife.
References and where to find them:
- Square One, director Danny Wu, https://youtu.be/ZxNDb2PVcoM, also available on Amazon Prime
- The Lies of Leaving Neverland, on You-tube: https://youtu.be/Hz-vEaq8pu8, or the website Leavingneverlandlies.net
- Charles Thomson, Unfinished: Shoebury’s Lost Boys, podcast Unfinished: Shoebury’s Lost Boys.
- MJCast, The New Adventures of Charlie Thomson, episode 121, themjcast.com
- Elizabeth Amisu, The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife (Praeger 2016), pp105-111.
- Michael Jackson, Dancing The Dream (Doubleday 1992), p. 51
- ‘An Interview David Nordahl’ , issue 2, 4, The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies Click Here
- Willa & Lisa, ‘‘Leaving Neverland’: Why You Wanna Trip on Me?’ Dancing with the Elephant April 4 2019, Click Here
- Elizabeth Amisu, ‘On Michael Jackson’ by Margot Jefferson – Academic Book Review, Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies (2014), Click Here
- Kerry Hennigan, MJ Studies Today XL, The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, Issue 4, 5 (14-04-2019) Click Here