In part 2 of On The Wall, Elizabeth and Karin discuss the exhibition guided by the catalogue and the art and artists curated by Elizabeth. They walk you through the exhibition as if they are there explaining what they see and put it into context.
Merx, Karin, and Elizabeth Amisu. “Episode 48 – On The Wall Part 2” Podcast, Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation 7, no. 6 (2021). Published electronically 27/05/2021. https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/episode48-part-2-on-the-wall/.
The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies asks that you acknowledge The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies as the source of our Content; if you use material from The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies online, we request that you link directly to the stable URL provided. If you use our content offline, we ask that you credit the source as follows: “Courtesy of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies.”
Episode 48 – On The Wall Part 2
By Karin Merx & Elizabeth Amisu
Karin Merx BMus, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, and author of ‘A festive parade of highlights. La Grande Parade as evaluation of the museum policy of Edy De Wilde at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam’. Find out more about Karin here.
Elizabeth Amisu, PGCE, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies and author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife. Find out more about Elizabeth here.
- Margo Jefferson, ‘Was I in denial? Margo Jefferson on Michael Jackson’s legacy‘, The Guardian (2019) https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/07/margo-jefferson-on-michael-jackson
- Joseph Vogel, ‘How Dangerous kicked Off Michael Jackson’s Race paradox’, The Guardian (2018) https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/17/black-and-white-how-dangerous-kicked-off-michael-jacksons-race-paradox
- Adrian Searle, ‘Michael Jackson On The Wall Review,’ The Guardian (2018) https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/jun/27/michael-jackson-on-the-wall-review-artists-dream-model-national-portrait-gallery-london
- Elizabeth Amisu, ‘Academic Book Review: On Michael Jackson’, The Journal Of Michael Jackson Academic Studies 1, no. 1 (2014). https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/elizabeth-amisu-on-michael-jackson-by-margo-jefferson/
- Mark Ryden about the frame of The dangerous Painting and On The Wall, Watch Here
- Michele Wallace, ‘Michael Jackson, Black Modernisms and ‘The Ecstasy of Communication’, The Journal Of Michael Jackson Academic Studies 1, no. 4 (2015) https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/michael-jackson-black-modernisms-and-the-ecstasy-of-communication/
- Joseph Vogel, ‘Michael Jackson’s dangerous and the reinvention of pop’, Popmatters, https://www.popmatters.com/michael-jackson-reinvention-of-pop-2495948728.html
- Isabelle Petitjean, Conference “Dangerous”, Michael Jackson & Mark Ryden, Pop Music & Fine Arts. Watch Here
- Isabelle Petitjean, “Dangerous” – from Mark Ryden to Michael Jackson – Pop Culture in the Pantheon of Fine Arts (Delatour ed, 2017).
- Michael Bush, The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson (Insight Editions 2021).
- Elizabeth Amisu, ‘Liberace Has Gone To War’: Undressing Michael Jackson’s Fashion’, Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife (Preager, 2016).
- Banksy, Exit Through the Gift Shop’, documentary (UK, 2010) Watch Here, Buy DvD
- Joseph Vogel, ‘I Ain’t Scared of No Sheets: Rescreening Black Masculinity in Michael Jackson’s Black or White’, Journal of Popular Music Studies 27,1 (2015) https://www.academia.edu/11493559/I_Ain_t_Scared_of_No_Sheets_Re_screening_Black_Masculinity_in_Michael_Jackson_s_Black_or_White_Journal_of_Popular_Music_Studies_27_1_March_2015
- Willa Stilwater, M Poetica: Michael Jackson’s Art of Connection and Defiance, Second Edition (Kindle, 2013).
- Karin merx, Elizabeth Amisu, Episode 41 (14/11/20) ‘Leaving Neverland’ & ‘The Real Michael Jackson’, The Journal Of Michael Jackson Academic Studies 7,2 (2021).