Abstract: In this seventeenth episode Karin and Elizabeth discuss the academic essay ‘‘The Isle Is Full Of Noises’: Revisiting The Peter Pan Of Pop’, which Elizabeth wrote in 2014, while researching and writing The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife. Elizabeth also answers questions asked by followers of @MJAS29 on Twitter.
Merx, Karin, and Elizabeth Amisu. “Episode 17 – The Isle is Full of Noises” Podcast, Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation 3, no. 2 (2016). Published electronically 07/10/16. https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/episode-17/.
The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies asks that you acknowledge The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies as the source of our Content; if you use material from The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies online, we request that you link directly to the stable URL provided. If you use our content offline, we ask that you credit the source as follows: “Courtesy of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies.”
Episode 17 – The Isle is Full of Noises
By Karin Merx & Elizabeth Amisu
“Peter Pan wouldn’t grow up, Michael Jackson couldn’t grow up because we would not let him.”
1. What was the idea behind the essay?
2. How Michael Jackson relates to Shakespeare’s Ariel.
3. How the press used the epithet ‘Peter Pan of Pop’ to diminish Michael Jackson as an artist.
4. How Jackson connects with Fitzgerald, Wilde, and J.M. Barrie.
Karin Merx BMus, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, and author of ‘A festive parade of highlights. La Grande Parade as evaluation of the museum policy of Edy De Wilde at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam’. Find out more about Karin here.
Elizabeth Amisu, PGCE, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies and author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife. Find out more about Elizabeth here.
All Our References and Where to Easily Find Them
1. Amisu, Elizabeth. “‘The Isle Is Full of Noises’: Revisiting the Peter Pan of Pop.” The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies 1, no. 1 (2014). Published electronically 25/08/16. https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/elizabeth-amisu-the-isle-is-full-of-noises-revisiting-the-peter-pan-of-pop-2/.
2. Information about F. Scott Fitzgerald: https://www.britannica.com/biography/F-Scott-Fitzgerald
3. Information about Oscar Wilde: http://www.cmgww.com/historic/wilde/
4. Amisu, Elizabeth. “‘Crack Music’: Michael Jackson’s ‘Invincible’.” The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies 1, no. 2 (2015). Published electronically 24/10/14. https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/elizabeth-amisu-crack-music-michael-jacksons-invincible/. Originally published in Writing Eliza (2014). 23/10/14. http://elizabethamisu.com/2014/10/23/crack-music-michael-jacksons-invincible-2/.
5. Information about the Globe Theatre in London http://www.shakespearesglobe.com
6. Shakespeare, William, The Tempest, V. M. Vaughan & A, T. Vaughan ed., (Arden, 2011).
7. Yates,Frances F., Shakespeare’s Last Plays, (Routledge, 2007).
8. McMullan, Gordon, Shakespeare and the Idea of Late Writing: Authorship in the Proximity of Death, (Cambridge, 2010).
9. Amisu, Elizabeth, ‘Invincible, Michael Jackson’s Lost Late Album’, The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife (Praeger, 2016).
10. Colby, Tanner, “The Radical Notion of Michael Jackson’s Humanity”, Slate.com, http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/06/michael_jackson_death_anniversary_we_recall_thriller_and_bad_but_what_about.html (2014). 24/06/2014.
11. Amisu, Elizabeth, Ripe Earth (The Ripe Earth Trilogy Book 1), (Writing Eliza, 2016).
12. Wilde Oscar, The Profundis, (CreateSpace, 2016).
13. Wilde Oscar, The Picture of Dorian Gray, (Wordsworth, 1992).
13. F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: And Six Other Stories, (Penguin Classics, 2008).
14. Fisher, Mark ed., The Resistible Demise of Michael Jackson, (Zero Books, 2009).
15. Woodward, Susan, Otherness and Power: Michael Jackson and His Media Critics, (Blackmore Books, 2016).
16. Woodward, Susan. “An Interview with Susan Woodward.” Interview, The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies 2, no. 3 (2016). Published electronically 21/05/16. https://michaeljacksonstudies.org/an-interview-with-susan-woodward/.
17. Miller, Alice, The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self, (Basic Books, 1997).
18. The Little Prince, Animation, (Netflix, 2016).
You May Also Like: