Abstract: In this Halloween (2016) episode Karin and Elizabeth discuss Michael Jackson’s 1997 short film, ‘Ghosts’. Going into amazing detail on the film-making, cinematography, acting, and many of the hidden social and political ideas which lurk beneath the surface. They also discuss the theme of transformation in Jackson’s work, including ‘Thriller’.
Merx, Karin, and Elizabeth Amisu. ‘Episode 18 – Halloween Special: ‘Ghosts” Podcast, Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation 3, no. 2 (2016). Published electronically 30/10/16. http://michaeljacksonstudies.org/halloween/.
The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies asks that you acknowledge The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies as the source of our Content; if you use material from The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies online, we request that you link directly to the stable URL provided. If you use our content offline, we ask that you credit the source as follows: “Courtesy of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies.”
Episode 18 – Halloween Special: ‘Ghosts’
By Karin Merx & Elizabeth Amisu
Michael Jackson was way ahead of his time… he uses transformation because he grew up and people didn’t want him to grow up.
Karin Merx BMus, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, and author of ‘A festive parade of highlights. La Grande Parade as evaluation of the museum policy of Edy De Wilde at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam’. Find out more about Karin here.
Elizabeth Amisu, PGCE, MA, is editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies and author of The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife. Find out more about Elizabeth here.
All Our References and Where to Easily Find Them
1. The Michael Jackson’s Ghosts short film via YouTube.
2. The ‘Making of Michael Jackson’s Ghosts’ VH1.
3. Information about Tim Burton’s Edward Scissorhands (1990).
4. Certified ‘Reading Michael Jackson’s Short Films’ Online Video Course: 6-Lesson Video Course with Karin Merx
5. Elizabeth Amisu, The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife (Praeger 2016).
6. Margo Jefferson, On Michael Jackson (Vintage, 2006).
8. Joseph Vogel, ‘“Am I the Beast You Visualized?” The Cultural Abuse of Michael Jackson’, Huffington Post (January 2, 2012), http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-trial-_b_1068750.html
9. Episode 10 (25/6/16): MJAS Exclusive: 7 Albums, 7 Songs, 7 Years (with Dr. Joe Vogel)
10. Joseph Vogel, Featuring Michael Jackson: Collected Writings on the King of Pop, (BlakeVision Books, 2012).
11. Elizabeth Amisu, ‘Throwing Stones To Hide Your Hands’: The Mortal Persona Of Michael Jackson‘, The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies, 1, no. 1 (2014).
12. Current Michael Jackson Studies Courses:
- Introduction to Michael Jackson Studies
- Teaching Michael Jackson Studies
- Michael Jackson & Black History
- Michael Jackson’s ‘Dangerous’
- Certified Michael Jackson’s ‘HIStory’
- Certified Visual Art of Michael Jackson
- Certified Michael Jackson & Classical Music
- Certified ‘Reading Michael Jackson’s Short Films’
You May Also Like: