Here at The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies we believe that everyone has an article, essay, story and review within them that they could share with the world. We love being part of that experience. Currently, we are gifting academic book reviewers 3 months free official journal membership (worth $45), and essay-contributors 6 months free official journal membership (worth $90).
In this vein, we are currently seeking Articles, Essays, Opinion Pieces (1000-6000 words excluding references) and Book Reviews (approx. 750-1500 words).
Writing for The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies means that not only do you retain your copyright, you also have the added bonus of being an academically published author in the world’s only journal on Jackson’s art. You will also be in good company with a growing field of featured contributors from around the world.
Academic Book Reviews
Here are some of the monographs, for which we would like detailed and thorough academic book reviews:
- Amisu, Elizabeth, The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife (Santa Barbara, California: Praeger, 2016)
- Strong, Catherine and Barbara Lebrun, eds. Death and the Rock Star (Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate, 2016)
- Greenburg, Zack O’Malley, Michael Jackson, Inc. (Atria, 2014)
- Kirkland, Douglas, Michael Jackson: The Making of ‘Thriller’: 4 Days/1983 (Filipacchi, 2010)
- Petitjean, Isabelle, La culture pop au panthéon des Beaux-Arts: Dangerous, de Mark Ryden à Michael Jackson (Editions L’Harmattan, 2016)
- Smit, Christopher R. (ed.), Michael Jackson: Grasping the Spectacle (Ashgate, 2012)
- Swedien, Bruce, In the Studio with Michael Jackson (Hal Leonard, 2009)
Academic Book Review Requirements:
- Formal language and third person perspective.
- Close textual detail of the book and its registration details.
- A chapter-by-chapter and section-by-section analysis of the book itself.
- Reviewer’s personal opinions on the academic value of the book.
- Clear and concise explanation of books that this book relates to, uses and can be used with.
- Clear and concise explanation of specific academic fields in which this book can be used.
- A model book review can be found here: http://michaeljacksonstudies.org/book-review-of-the-michael-jacksons-an-ethnographic-monograph-by-lorena-turner/
Academic Essays/Articles/Opinion Pieces
We are also actively accepting submissions of academic essays, articles, and opinion pieces on a wide range of topics. Any author can submit for online publication, regardless of their previous experience. However, it is particularly helpful for our editorial team if your piece includes an abstract and a brief biography. Don’t worry if you’ve never been published before. We love to hear from new authors!
- African-American Heritage
- Art History
- Michael Jackson as Composer
- Michael Jackson as Persona
- Michael Jackson as Auteur
- Michael Jackson’s Legacy
- Michael Jackson and the Creative Process
- Michael Jackson and Fashion
- (1968-1978) – Jackson 5/The Jacksons
- Off The Wall (1979)
- Thriller (1982)
- Bad (1987)
- Dangerous (1991)
- HIStory (1995)
- Blood on the Dance Floor (1997)
- Invincible (2001)
- Live Performance
- Moonwalk (Doubleday, 1988)
- Dancing the Dream (Doubleday, 1992)
- Earth Song
- Academic Reviews on Michael Jackson-related publications
We read every piece that we receive and publish as many as we can. The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies endeavors to publish and support all authors and researchers who contact us. Professional editorial advice is available to all contributors who would like academic support.
You May Also Like: